Tuesday, June 12, 2012

fishy hat 2.0

So here it is, the second fish hat.

As often happens; the colour isn't quite right in the photo; the darker green is a bright more vibrant that what it would appear here.  My boss wanted an orange one so orange she got.
I can see my double pointed needle technique requires more work. The socks were the first time I had used them so I guess I still need to perfect my technique; you can see the spiral lines where I have changed from one needle to another (I read a great tip that suggests knitting the first couple of stitches from the next  needle before starting the empty needle - does that make sense?). Anyway, i have ended up with a spiral pattern on the beanie where it was too tight on my joins; I am a little annoyed as my son's hat didn't do it, and it is this one that is in the shop; and in the front window no less!  I am not sure it fits in with all the beautiful things we have in our window LOL!!  It does make me laugh to see it there.

Now I am determined to get my second fingerless glove done. I am halfway through the second one, it really does knit up quickly. And I am loving watching the colours change as the ball gets used. And so soft! It is a sock wool, called Katia Darling.  We have quite  a few yarns from Katia in the shop now.

I have some very nice acrylic that i want to make another feather and fan scarf with, but not a lacy one this time; one that is in an eight ply and hopefully wont catch on everything.  It will be more useable I hope. The alpaca one is gorgeous and I do love it but it is a little impractical.  It will be worn on special occasions.

Today I am home with my son who has a cold; not a bad one but he is home, and hopefully back at school tomorrow. it is a good opportunity for me to rest too as my dizzy spells have come back this week thanks to a nasty prank last week where a child from the high school called to tell me my son had been hit by a car; real funny prank that. He hadn't and is fine (except for his cold) but the stress of it has aggravated my Meniere's Disease.  I will be fine and feel better than i did but i think rest is the order of the day.
I believe two children have been suspended for three days over the prank that they thought was so funny they did it to nearly a dozen people.  I wonder if they would think it so funny if I gave them the medical bills I am going to have to pay as I try to get it under control again. And the lost wages as I very nearly had to leave work the other day as I couldn't stand straight for the dizziness.
Oh well, what is done is done. Now I just have to get better I guess and wait for the next episode.  being a relatively new condition for me, it is all a wait and see journey.

So today is a good day to get more of my glove done. I really do like it, I should show you how it looks; I decided not to have the stripes in the same place and just go with the wool as it came off the new ball, and I am happy with it. One glove will be more blue and the other will have more red. I can't wait to wear them, I am getting quite excited at the thought now.  And it is so very cold here so they will keep my hands nice and warm.
Perfect for the frosty days. My grandmother used to comment on how warm my hands always were; not so these last few days!! we had a heavy frost this morning, luckily some trees that we have had trouble getting established are covered. They nearly died last winter and they have just recently looked like they were going to survive so we will hopefully nurse them through this winter and they will be happier and healthier next year.
Stay warm everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your fish hat. Getting those messy joins is sometimes annoying isnt it. I understand what you mean. You could always knit them on a circular needle which helps quite a bit. What a horrible prank, I think I would have fainted if I had been told that. I am glad that they got suspended but I do hope that your feeling better very soon. Your gloves are looking fantastic, and yes it has been quite cold in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karyn, another really cool fish hat. I am so sorry to hear you have been unwell, and hope this bout of if subsides. What a naughty little lot of boys!! One day perhaps this will catch up with them............ Do take care. I simply adore your gloves, that yarn is spectacular. Our weather is lovely today, but we've had it a bit cold [for Queensland]. Take care.

    ReplyDelete